The recent re-election of Barak Hussein Obama has served to uncover the deep Spiritual crisis in America, particularly among confessing Christians. What a blow to the cause of freedom,playing by the rules, and responsibility!
On election night, most people I know didn’t expect anything less than a reprieve from the four years long nightmare that is the Obama presidency. We sat in stunned silence, contemplating the new reality. We who cherish the American ideals of limited government, Judeo Christian morality, and sane servant leadership, no longer have the prevailing consensus, for now.
But perhaps our vision of the right path for America had to be terminated so that we could be better prepared for God’s agenda. How should we look at this reversal of our hopes? What do the righteous do when the wicked come to power?
God does things differently than we would do them. But consider this. Suppose America received a president who really could turn the economy around, cut taxes, bring back investments, and growth, and pay down the national debt, undoing the shackles Obama has put on our economy. Do you think our population would ever turn to God?
We as a nation did have decades of steady growth, with Reagan, Bush and Clinton and even under George Bush, and the nation is further from God than ever before. We know the ‘problems ‘ of this nation are all preventable and still fixable, but what is God doing?
I believe that God often puts his people in a position of seeming weakness in a socety, so that in our weakness he can display his power. We in our flesh always want to win,(Americans are winners, right?). But God uses seeming defeat to display his greatest victory. Would you have voted for David or Goliath in a fight?
* We aren’t the first Christians to be in this situation – We western christians think that our previous situation was the rule, but really in the big picture it has been the exception. The church has always been a ship in a sea of hostility to God and Christ, and usually doesn’t deal in any political power or influence, for our power is Truth, it is the Gospel, not polls, blocs and media savvy.
Doesn’t it always seem that the church fares better spiritually in an environment of open hostility to God by the state? Is not our greatest problem the apathy and complacency in the people we are trying to reach for God? They don’t realize they need God! The world has exerted a ‘soul deadening’ effect on them! Our generation is currently like Lot and his wife and children.
Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13 but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.(I Peter 4:12)
* We shouldn’t become bitter about this political reversal – It is galling to see the seeming triumph of the godless, to hear Obama tell us he won the debate over taxes, policy and ‘values’. It hurts to think that power might have been stolen, when we read of wards voting 100% for Obama in swing states, such as Florida and Ohio, or of the county which went 108% for Obama!
But are we not told that “The whole world lies in the wicked One” ? What did we expect? Politics concerns pure, worldly power, power to influence, to disburse the public funds, and to wield influence in this world. True there is a Biblical use of political power,(See Romans 13) but an amoral people can only have an amoral system, one in which the conscienceless and most ruthless usually prevail.
How else could a nation which has slaughtered 50 million of its own most helpless, and profaned the Holy, such as marriage by redefining it to “include” sexual deviants end up?
The bitterness and disillusionment that has surfaced among many christians only tells us that we have set our hearts upon something other than God’s Kingdom.
We have to guard against hating the “revenge voters”; ie the Obama coalition of illegal immigrants, homosexual activists, Muslims, the envious, racists , socialists, and the immoral who expect productive people to pay for their “birth control”. If we hate them, we deny Christ and become like them.
It is all understandable, after all I don’t want to raise my children in Obama’s America, But here we are! Are we going to live as pilgrims in this world? As christians? Here is our opportunity to “Shine”!
* We should overcome evil with good- I am not going to deny that I do believe that what has happened to America is evil and will have profound ramifications for whatever time is left for us on this planet. We have experienced another coup de tat, (the first one being 4 years ago).
But we must realize that God works in the affairs if men, and His sovereignty is what is driving these events. God doesn’t want us to make this world into our cozy home… He wants us to look for “a city, whose builder and maker is God”.
For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God…By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise…But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.(Hebrews 11:10,18)
Every chance we get we should love our enemies, and seek to do good to them. Certainly we should pray for them, and be prepared to help, because their godless Utopia is doomed to collapse upon them.
* Give place to the Sovereignty of God- Now is the time to remember the teaching of Psalm 37. The assumption is that it actually looks like evil is prevailing and nothing is being done about it! This is extremely demoralizing to many christians, but God often works in such circumstances.
Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.(Psalm 37:1-8)
Obama is indeed evil the antithesis of the values of this former Judeo Christian nation, will not always get away with his divisive leadership, his character assassination of the rich, the productive. But the LORD is seeing all of this, and will not ignore it. We have got to believe God!
These six things the Lord hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.(Proverbs 6)
* Lets realize the times- Jesus told those who came to arrest him, “This is your hour and the power of darkness”. I believe this is true of “the current powers that be”. It is their (brief) time to really prevail and have their way for now, until the Cornerstone comes to crush them at his advent. “The God of peace shall soon crush Satan under your feet”.
It has never been a better time to be a Moslem, or a race pimp, or an anarchist or communist. Enjoy it while you can! They are making gains they never thought possible, the last Judeo Christian Bastion of worldly power seems to be collapsing now and darkness descends on the earth. The night of Tribulation seems to be approaching.
I don’t see an American superpower in the last days, do you? If anyone does let me know, I have studied scripture for decades and have never seen it. We must decrease. But I am a Christian, I want Jesus to come back! I await the Parousia, more than the retaking of the house and senate! He has promised us a Kingdom, He is coming as you have heard. Maranatha!