And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.(Romans 8:28)
First brothers and sisters, Listen to this- Eli Eli Eli
Why do all things work together for good? Can God even make evil , trouble and sorrow work for us? Is this a promise for everyone?
This is definitely not a promise for everyone; it is addressed to those “Who love God” and those “who are being called according to His purpose”.
Yes God even uses evil, forcing it to conform to His purpose. The stellar example of this is the cross of Jesus. Evil men condemned and executed as a criminal, the Messiah of Israel. They meant it for evil, but God used it for the salvation of the world.
In your own life, God makes all things work together for your good(and His glory). All of the frustrations, troubles and trials of life can be made to serve God’s purpose. This is why the Christian can praise God in the midst of trouble.
How can they work for our good?
1) Troubles and trials serve to wake us up.The world can have a soul deadening effect on us,lulling us to spiritual sleep and comfort and making us forget how much we need God.
2) They can also reveal to us our smallness and weakness. Peter felt confident in the flesh that he was ready for the ordeal of Christ’s arrest. But his confidence collapsed when a little girl asked him if He knew Jesus!
3)Difficulties can force us to face our sinfulness, and remind us that we constantly need o humble ourselves and ask God for forgiveness.
4) Like Job, trials and tests force us to confront our own wrong ideas about God, and the ways HE works. Job said in effect, “up till now I had heard of Him, but now I see Him”.
5) All things can work together to humble us- for the constant default position is pride and self-confidence.
6) Were it not for trials, how often would we pray and seek God? It is testing and difficulty that has sent me to my knees, to know God in the school of prayer!
7) I have found a side of the Father, that I never would have known had I not fallen, or been made vulnerable by weakness and defeat. Which of my six children is my favorite? Whichever one is in trouble and needs me the most at the time.When a child of mine fails or is in trouble I don’t back away from them, I want to draw near ! “The Lord is near to the broken-hearted and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit!”(Psalm 34)
8) But nothing can work together for your good if you are unteachable and hard-hearted, and always justifying yourself. If any one is too adept at rationalization,self-justification and argument, chances are this blessed promise will not be fulfilled in them.
9) Another way all things work together for good, is that troubles can wean us from this world. Too often we forget that we are not meant to make a permanent life in this world, we are preparing for the next. Part of our discipleship is the process of detachment from this world.
10) God wants us to constantly look for His glory in the coming day.
11) Even Sin and evil can be made to work for our good- when we sin, it shakes our self -confidence, and remind us that “only by grace do we stand”. How ready at any time am I to defect from God and go my own way? How I need God, therefore I pray as Jesus taught me, “Forgive me of my sins as I forgive those who sin against me, and Lead me not into temptation but deliver me from evil….”.
12) After all, God is our Father. He uses all things to discipline us in love and grace. Therefore we can rejoice knowing this precious promise.
I believe we can get through any trial if we know that there is meaning and purpose in the suffering. A woman can be comforted, even in the pangs of birth, knowing something good will come out of her travail.
For the child of God, nothing is wasted , no suffering or difficulty is meaningless. All things work together for good to those who Love God and are called according to His purpose!
God bless you and have a good Sunday!