The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.(Romans 8:14-17)
Christians are Sons of God. Not naturally, but by adoption, God has brought us into his own family,and given us the status of sons. Also by virtue of a new birth, having been born from above, we share in the Divine nature,and are Sons of God.
John 1:12-13 brings out this twofold truth powerfully when he proclaims ,
*adoption,“As many as received Him(Jesus) to them he gave the power to become sons of God…”(John 1:12)
* And new birth, the imputation of a new nature,“Who were born not blood nor of the will of man, nor of the flesh, but of God.”(John 1:13)
Being adopted into God’s family, and born again into it, makes us into heirs. “Heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ”. We have an inheritance in store for us, God has promised it.
By virtue of the fact that we have the Holy Spirit, we can be assured of the inheritance, because the Holy Spirit is called “the earnest of our inheritance”, that is the first installment on everything else.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,(I Peter 1:3-4)
What is this inheritance that is reserved by God himself for us? It is Glory that we shall inherit. We shall be glorified, and so shall the heavens and the earth, all shall be made new, He has promised us a Kingdom of Glory.
We are awaiting the inheritance, it isn’t here yet, it cannot be brought in until the last ‘heir’ is seated, for we are called “Joint Heirs” with Christ. This is a legality which means that no heir may receive the inheritance without all the heirs being able to.
Think of it, Jesus Christ himself cannot yet receive the full inheritance he died for, and purchased, without all of the rest of the heirs being able to have a share. Joint heirs with Christ!
The inheritance is called by many names,
* the New Creation-Salvation is comprehensive, it includes the soul of the individual, but extends to the reconciliation of heavens and the earth to God’s purpose and glory.
2 Corinthians 5:17 literally says, “If any man be in Christ, behold a new Creation…”the point being that a renewed person is made fit to enter into a new creation. Remember that Revelations has God saying, “Behold I make all things new”.
* The New heavens and the New earth-We believers are the only true new agers, for there is coming a new age of Righteousness. The church is the witness to this New age of Righteousness, as well as the vanguard of it. We possess through the gifts and fruit of the Spirit, “the powers of the Age to come”.
* Incorruption and Immortality-Only the believer indwelt by the Holy Spirit, longs to be finally free of all sin, decay, evil, and everything false and unholy. This longing is a sign that they have the Spirit, and that is a sign that the longing shall soon be fulfilled.
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.(I cor 15:50-54)
Deliverance from Death also, in all of its mutant forms, is our inheritance. We shall be changed, glorified, we shall live forever in God’s sight! hallelujah!
*A New City-A New Country-Abraham and Isaac and Jacob considered themselves pilgrims and strangers in their travels here, they lived in tents. They had no permanent city or country, for as Hebrews 11 tells us,
For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.(Hebrews 11;10)
True faith calls us out of the city of man, “Love not the world, nor the things of the world”Part of our inheritance is a new city, a God built, God centered city, the new Jerusalem. We inherit a place in this city that God is preparing.
But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.(Hebrews 11:16)
We have also inherited citizenship in a new country, a nation of priests and Kings, whose government is the Lamb of God.
* The regeneration of all things-Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 19, the coming time when everything in heaven and on earth will be reconciled to God’s original intent. We inherit, with Jesus, a restored earth.
*Glory-Remember when Romans 3 lamented that all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God? Our inheritance as Sons of God is restoration to that Glory that we were created to live in. Truly eyes haven’t seen, nor have ears heard nor has it even entered the heart of man, the things God has prepared or them that love Him!